Civil wars and militia conflicts have plagued the Republic of Congo, which is sometimes referred to as Congo-Brazzaville.
Nearly half the population lives in poverty, according to the World Bank, even though the Republic of Congo is one of sub-Saharan Africa’s main oil producers.
Oil is the mainstay of the economy and in recent years the country has tried to increase financial transparency in the sector
- Republic of The Congo
- Capital: Brazzaville
- Population 4.2 million
- Area Area: 342,000 sq km (132,047 sq miles)
- Major languages French, indigenous African languages
- Major religions Christianity, indigenous African beliefs
- Life expectancy 57 years (men), 59 years (women)
- Currency CFA (Communaute Financiere Africaine) franc