The multi-island country of St Vincent and the Grenadines is home to La Soufriere, an active volcano which last erupted in 1979.
Of the many islands and cays that make up the Grenadines, Mustique, Palm Island and Union Island are haunts of the rich and famous – offering yachting, diving and fine beaches.
Efforts are being made to diversify the economy away from bananas. Tourism is said to have great potential and the construction of an international airport has been under way.
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Capital : Kingstown
- Population 109,000
- Area 389 sq km (150 sq miles)
- Major language English
- Major religion Christianity
- Life expectancy 70 years (men), 75 years (women)
- Currency East Caribbean dollar